Pages

Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Turkey Sweet Potato & Quinoa Chili plus the start of a Vlog!

Quinoa & Sweet Potato Turkey Chili


photo credit via Advocare


For those of you that watched the video….thank you! Health and fitness really are a passion of mine and Eric’s and I’m excited to share a little piece of our life with you all! Hopefully we can show you that living a healthy lifestyle can be done when you find what works for your family and it doesn’t mean you have to eat bland chicken all day long. And you get a peek inside our little lives other than photos!! If you did not see the video...you can watch it by clicking HERE!


Soooooo on to the recipe….which was originally sent to me via Advocare in a Recipe Guide but I made a few changes!


My friend texted me the other morning…yes I’m calling you out Rita!! She mentioned that she finally made the chili and thought it was a little bland.


I was like awe man…I had already bought the ingredients and was looking forward to another great recipe from the guide.

I was already planning to change the recipe slightly to fit our needs/macros and when she told me this….it made me more aware of the flavor I could expect.


I changed the recipe slightly by adding 2 lbs. of cooked 93/7 ground turkey meat and added in 1 extra cup of chicken broth (I used chicken broth instead of vegetable broth). And in the last hour of cooking….I taste tested the chili and it in fact could use a little salt and pepper so I salt and peppered to taste (also added a little garlic powder and a little extra chili powder since I did add broth and turkey) and it turned out really good.


I would like to note it is a thicker type chili….not like soup. I will definitely make again as this was Eric approved!!


The macros for the recipe with my spin on it are 29 carb, 27 protein and 10 fat. One serving is one cup. Entire recipe makes 8 cups.


I eat 1 cup and Eric eats 1.5 cups for a meal. Add a side of veggies to make it complete!


It really took no time to prep…maybe 15 minutes. I started at 5pm and it was ready at 9 before bedtime. We ate this for lunch and dinner the next day.


Ingredients
2 lbs 93/7 ground turkey meat (cooked)
1 can pinto beans (rinsed and drained)
1 can diced fire roasted tomatoes
4 Tbsp. tomato paste
2 cups sweet potatoes, diced
1 cup dry quinoa
1 medium onion, diced
4 garlic cloves, minced (I bought a jar of minced garlic)
1 Tbsp. olive oil
2 Tbsp. chili powder
2 tsp cumin
1 ½ tsp dried oregano
5 cups low sodium chicken broth


Directions
Spray slow cooker with cooking spray. 
Add all ingredients to slow cooker and stir.
Cook on low for 4 hours.


It’s as simple as that!! Enjoy!


Have a great day everyone!

Xoxo
manda

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear whats on your mind! I read every comment and it makes my day!!